Window dressing goes beyond just using them as decoration, it can help in many other aspects such as privacy. Besides, window dressings can help in controlling natural light levels in the room, and can have a cooling effect in the room.
However, many of us don’t know the difference between drapes and curtains or shades and blinds.
Know more about the difference between those types and more, to decide which is best for your home.
Windows blinds and shades
Shades and blinds are different, and each serves its own purpose.
- Shades are made of soft panels of fabric, usually hanging into the window frame, and being moved up and down with a cord. They don’t fit above the window frame, and you have to lift it to allow the light to come in. This means that to enjoy natural light, you have to deal with the fact that your room is exposed.
You can choose from many types of shades that differ in length, fabric and more. Shades come in many styles such as the Roman shades, which creates pleats when rolled up. Balloon shades gives you a more modern puffy look, while Tie shades -as the name suggests- has to be tied on the end to stay up.
- To the contrary, blinds are aluminum, wood or vinyl slats that open and close with a cord.
plus, Blinds come with a great advantage over shades, you can enjoy natural light and privacy at the same time.
Blind slats come in different sizes. You can also choose the 0.5 -1 inch slates (mini-blinds) or the more durable 2 inch slates (Venetian blinds).
Window curtains or drapes
- Curtains is one of the most known window treatments out there. You can find panel pairs sold in different colors, fabrics and sizes. They are hang on rods by their own or over shades or blinds. You can install curtain rods above or beside the window frame.
- On the other hand, drapes are not just fabric panels, they are lined. The drapery lining helps in block the incoming light out, making them the perfect choice for bedrooms. Draperies usually cover from the top of the window to the floor, and you can customize them to fit your window.
Besides, you can choose between different fabrics to give your room the look you are looking for.
Choosing window dressing
Picking the right window dressing for your home depends on a couple of things:
- The view and light you want to see.
– Blinds maintain privacy while allowing light to come in the room.
– Drapes help in insulating heat and cold, and block out natural light, because of its lining.
- Do you want your window treatment to provide sound insulation
- The area around the window available for any needed fixtures
- The design you want to accomplish.
– curtain fabrics can help you make a decor statement, make sure to choose the fabric and pattern that goes with what’s in your mind. Also, you can cover blinds or shades that you don’t like with curtains.
- Budget available.
If you want a budget friendly option, you can go for shades, which can go from 20$ to 100$. In addition, they are easy to clean because of their flat surface.